I’m a pretty healthy guy, but even I have my weaknesses… and as much as I hate sugars, I really do love dessert.
We typically only eat fruit-based desserts in our house, but we like to splurge every once in a while when we’re celebrating…. And since yesterday was Father’s day, my wife thought she’d spoil me by making up a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
I figured it was a special day & I’d done a great hike earlier… so I let myself have a few.
I hate to admit it… but I scarfed down 4 before I even asked my wife what was in them!
I was feeling pretty guilty, but when she showed me the recipe she came up with, I felt alittle better.
She used all-natural sources of sugar, and added some fiber and protein in by using coconut and almond flour… making these some of the healthiest chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever tried.
So… I decided I’d share the recipe:
|1 ¼ C Brown Rice Flour
½ C Coconut Flour
½ C Almond Flour
1 TSP Baking Soda
1 C Dark Chocolate Chips
1 C Chopped Pecans
|1 TBSP Blackstrap molasses
3/4 C Coconut Palm Sugar
1 Stick Earth Balance
1 Stick Earth Balance Shortening
1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda and salt.
2. Cream the sticks of Earth Balance with the sugar and molasses. Mix in the eggs and vanilla then slowly add in the flours.
4. Once the dough mixture is smooth, mix in the chocolate chips and pecans.
5. Using a tablespoon, spoon the dough onto a prepared cookie sheet, about ½ inch apart.
6. Bake 8-12 minutes, then cool on the sheet for 2 minutes before transferring.
Keep in mind: just because these cookies are healthier than your average chocolate chip cookie, doesn’t mean they’re healthy… so I wouldn’t recommend making these every week.
Like most sweets, the key is moderation.
But if you are planning on eating chocolate chip cookies, it’s better to use a recipe like this one, that doesn’t use refined sugar or white flour.
As long as you use common sense & use the healthiest ingredients possible, there’s no reason you can’t enjoy delicious treats like this every once in a while (just make sure you don’t eat 4 at once like I did).