I’m normally an “up and at ’em” sort of guy, jumping out of bed ready to attack the day…
But every so often, we all have those days where no matter what we do or how long we’ve been out of bed, we just can’t seem to wake up all the way.
Today was one of those days for me.
I got up, ate my oat grouts and drank a cup of coffee, but I still didn’t feel energized like usual.
I was still dragging when I got into the office. I thought about grabbing a second cup of coffee…but I know drinking too much coffee can raise your blood pressure, so I decided to play it safe and use a more natural approach.
I used a tried-and-true method I learned when traveling Southeast Asia, and now I’m ready to work…without using any extra caffeine.
So next time you find yourself needing a pick-me-up, try one of these 5 techiques (I used #3):
- Belt it out. No matter what you sound like when you sing, belting out your favorite tune reduces stress while giving you a natural boost of energy. So turn up your radio, practice your air guitar and sing along with your favorite jam. (If you’re worried about getting odd looks from co-workers, just take a break and hold a mini-concert in your car.)
- Sniff around. As strange as it may sound, sniffing something like lemon, orange or cinnamon can revitalize your senses and cure you of your fatigue. I like using an orange because it doubles as a great fiber-filled snack.
- Do a little downward dog. Yoga is amazing because works to both relax and revitalize you, leaving you with a calm, focused energy. To get these benefits in the least amount of time possible, focus on the dogs. Alternate between downward dog and upward dog for about 3 minutes, and you’ll feel invigorated in no time.
- Journey to the sun. It’s no secret that the sun is important to human life…so it shouldn’t be a surprise that sunshine has some serious effects on our body chemistry. In fact, walking around in the sunshine for just 5 minutes can give you a serious energy boost.
- Laugh like a hyena. Laughter is a cure for many things – including fatigue. Read something funny, talk to your most hilarious friend, or check out the latest viral youtube video. No matter how you do it, get yourself a dose of funny and laugh it up, boosting both your energy AND your mood.
Try a few of these tips out for yourself this week